Choosing a senior living facility for yourself or loved one is one of the most important decisions you will ever make. In order to find the ideal facility for your needs, it is wise to use specific points as benchmarks for comparison. Here are five key factors for choosing the ideal facility for Senior Living in Quad Cities.
1. Upkeep – One of the most important factors for choosing a senior living facility is its general upkeep. What is the first impression you get when you observe the surroundings? A well-kept and organized facility demonstrates the professionalism of the facility, and is a more comfortable place to live. Ensure that there is regular maintenance performed on lawns, driveways, walkways, recreational and other common areas.
2. Activities – For seniors who are highly mobile and socially active, having convenient access to a wide range of activities is highly beneficial. Focus on facilities that offer some form of clubhouse or community recreation room with plenty of regularly scheduled activities each day.
3. Facility Features – General and need-specific features of a senior living facility are important to making a final choice. These include features such as non-skid walkway surfaces, doorways and hallways wide enough to accommodate walkers and wheelchairs, lifts and elevators, handrails and proper lighting. These and other features combine to provide maximum safety and convenience.
4. Safety – All quality senior living facilities are equipped with smoke detectors, fire alarms and extinguishers and other essential safety features. The facility should also be located in close proximity to fire and police stations, as well as an inpatient hospital with emergency room services.
5. Medical Care – Access to high quality medical care is an important factor in choosing a senior living facility. The ideal facility will have 24-hour access to physician and nurse care, and on-site provisions that address both emergency and non-emergency situations. Another essential element is a convenient mode of transportation that connects residents with external medical treatment facilities.
These are a few of the most important factors for choosing the ideal facility for Senior Living in Quad Cities. Take the time to visit each facility you want to compare and ask for a complete guided tour. Along with other important considerations such as affordability and location, use the factors outlined as a guide to narrow down to the perfect facility for you or your loved one.