It is not surprising to understand that being involved in an accident on a motorcycle is more dangerous than being on the inside of an automobile. Yet, people who ride motorcycles have just as much right and authority to be on the highway as anyone else. If they become involved in an accident due to the careless driving of another, they might find that they have a lawsuit. Only an attorney who handles that kind of cases can tell for sure. A Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Spotsylvania VA area has handled many cases of this sort. Here is information you need to follow up on if in such an accident.
- The Virginia Commonwealth has a two-year statute of limitations for accidents such as motorcycle accidents. This means the victim has to file a suit in the civil court within the two-year window from the date of the incident. In some cases if the victim’s personal property has also been damaged, there is a five-year statute of limitations on that.
- Since motorcycle accidents fall under personal injury, there are two types of damages that can be received: compensatory damages and punitive damages.
- The compensatory damages are awarded for the victim’s losses and injuries. This covers everything pertaining to loss of wages, bodily injuries, impact to the health and well-being of the victim and mental anguish.
- The punitive damages are issued in the event of the offender being so reckless that he or she must be made an example for his or her conduct. It is rare to actually collect money on these types of damages.
- It must also be understood that if the injured party contributed to the negligence which caused the accident, he or she might not be awarded anything.
John P. Harris III, Attorney at Law has been providing legal solutions for clients in the Spotsylvania, VA area and other areas in Northern Virginia for many years. Some of the legal services he offers are negligence cases, wrongful death, personal injury, product liability, lawyer malpractice suits and medical malpractice suits. If you are looking for a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Spotsylvania VA, you can contact John P. Harris, III.