Tornadoes, hurricanes and other natural disasters can bring out the best in people – but it can also bring out the worst. Unethical people sometimes take advantage of storm victims, and among these frauds, roofing rip-offs are the most common. Whether you lost your roof in a disaster or it is just old and needs replacing, you should take the below precautions when choosing Roof Repair in Oklahoma City OK.
* Do the research. Ask your insurer about filing requirements and policy coverage, and save receipts from temporary roofing repairs if applicable.
* Remain calm. Although you may just want to get everything back the way it was, you shouldn’t let your emotions guide you when choosing Roof Repair in Oklahoma City OK.
* Compare prices. For substantial repairs, it makes good sense to get at least three estimates based on comparable materials and specs. Ask for references that go back at least a year, and ensure that the contractor you choose is licensed in your area.
* Don’t cave to pushy salespeople. Be especially wary of door to door solicitors who don’t have a brick-and-mortar address.
* Trust your intuition. If someone shows up unannounced and claims that your roof is unsafe, beware. If you’re worried about the structural integrity of your home, ask an architect or engineer to inspect it. While most contractors are law-abiding, unethical ones may intentionally damage your roof to create more work for themselves.
* Get it in writing. Before hiring a roofer, get a written contract with their license number, address, phone number and name. Read the contract carefully, don’t sign it if it’s blank, and retain a copy for your records.
If you receive several estimates and one is substantially lower than the others, it may be too good to be true. Some dishonest roofers offer attractive-sounding bids, but many of these contractors are uninsured or use shoddy materials. Read the fine print carefully, and if any of the language in the Kneal Roofing Companies’ contract is confusing, ask the contractor to clarify it in a way that you understand. Doing your research and taking your time will ensure that you hire the right roofer for the job, and that you get a quality repair.