Tooth discoloration is a very common dental health issue. When a person has discolored teeth, they lack confidence to smile and talk in front of people. The good news is that now, with the many emerging cosmetic dental procedures, getting your teeth whitened is not very difficult. Here are a few things that you need to know about zoom teeth whitening in Queens, NY.
Causes of teeth discoloration
The cause of the discoloration ranges from one person to the other. However, the following are the most common causes of stained teeth.
1. Poor dental hygiene: People that do not practice a good dental hygiene end up getting a lot of plaque coating the teeth, and this eventually becomes a permanent yellowish film.
2. Smoking: Cigarette smoke contains tar. When you inhale, the tar coats the surface of the teeth and with time, they become brownish in color.
3. Fluoride: Products that have a high content of fluoride are responsible for tooth discoloration. This could be water or even toothpastes.
Dealing with tooth discoloration
Many people opt to try the over the counter bleaches when dealing with teeth whitening. While this may seem like an easier and cheaper choice, it has the following limitations:
1. The continued and repeated use of these bleaches can lead to problems such as tooth sensitivity, the teeth getting a permanent bluish tint and gum diseases.
2. With the bleaches, it takes more time to achieve the desired results.
It is therefore wiser to let a cosmetic dentist handle the process of tooth whitening for you.
Whitening at the dentist’s
People prefer going to the dentist because to start with, the procedure will have visible results with a single visit. Also, dentists know how to deal with deep rooted discoloration. They will make use of hydrogen peroxide based whiteners, what is known as chair side bleaching for minor discoloration and micro-abrasions for stains that affect more than the enamel. The dentist will also be better informed about when bleaching is safe and when it is not.