There are simply sometimes when a dental professional is unable to fix or repair damage to your natural teeth and dental implants in Emporia are needed. With evolving technology, this oral surgery has become cost effective, virtually painless and very easy to recover from. However, with any specific procedure, it’s important to know that there are some important factors to remember to ensure your recovery period is smooth and painless as possible.
Here are a few tips for you to recover from your dental implants in Emporia quicker and easier.
Most dental implants surgeries can last a while, but usually are completed with local anesthetic being used to ensure the patient does not feel pain. However, the side effects of a local anesthetic can last between 3-5 hours after the procedure. Here are a few tips for dealing with these side effects.
- Make sure to avoid chewing at all during this time period. You can’t feel any pain in your cheeks or gums during the period the local anesthetic is active in your body. This is to reduce the chance of damaging your cheeks. It’s also advisable that you don’t drink any hot liquids after this period for the same reason.
After the local has worn off, the healing process can begin. There are several tips for you to remember when recovering during this process. And most of these tips are critical to follow for the first few weeks after your dental implants in Emporia.
Healing Completely After Dental Implants in Emporia
- It’s important to only eat soft and nutritious foods for the first two weeks after your surgery. This is done to ensure that no excessive pressure is placed on the dental implants while they heal. You should also avoid any hard or sticky foods as well during the first two weeks of recovery.
- Make sure you take only prescribed medication and antibiotics during the first two weeks of your recovery period. If you are having any type of reactions to the prescribed medication, it is very critical you contact your dental professional immediately.
- You should avoid brushing the area which has the dental implants and the dressing area while it is being healed.
- You need to avoid any alcohol intake for the first two weeks after your surgery. Alcohol in the mouth can reduce the healing process. If you are a smoker, you need to refrain from smoking during this time period too as the tobacco can cause infection.
- Avoid eating hot and spicy food and drinks during this two week healing period. Foods that are high in acidity can slow down the healing process. Also, don’t eat any hard or crusty foods like candy, chips or ice as these foods can damage your new dental implants and dressing area.
- For the first three days, you should make sure to use an ice pack to reduce the swelling.
When you approach your third and fourth week of recovery, you can begin to lightly brush you dental implant area, after the stitches are removed completely.
Maintaining proper oral hygiene is important, but make sure you fully recover after your dental implants surgery in Emporia prior to beginning your regular teeth brushing regiment.