We all get a little nervous thinking about visiting our dentist. I mean, the dentist is going to stick his hands in your mouth, that’s enough to make you not want to go. A fear of the dentist is reasonable, but we all have to go. We owe it to our teeth, to keep them healthy for the rest of our lives. Here are some easy tips to help you get through any dental visit.
1. Recognize your fears. One of the most important steps is knowing that you have a fear, and that, although it may be scary, you are willing to overcome it. If you write down your fears, and share them with your dentist, they can help you be at your most comfortable during your visit.
2. Finding the right dentist. Just as important as recognizing your fears, is finding a dentist you actually like. Some of your fears may stem from not liking your dentist. If your dentist understands your fears and tries to accommodate for you, then you’re well on your way to finding the right dentist. There are some dental offices that specialize in helping their clients overcome their fears.
3. Communicate your fears and anxiety. If you don’t express your fears to your dentist, then they’ll most likely never know that you are uncomfortable during your visits. By saying your fears out loud, it can help you and your dentist, be comfortable during your visits.
4. Bring a friend. Having someone with you may help to reduce your anxiety during dental visits. If possible, see if your companion can stay with you during your whole visit. Needless to say, make sure they are someone who is comfortable with dental visits, and can help you feel at ease at yours.
5. See if sedatives are appropriate. Discuss with your dentist if sedation is right for you. There are many different ways that you can keep calm during a dental visit, and this may be the way that is right for you. Don’t be surprised if your dentist wants to try different ways to make you comfortable first.
6. Most importantly, reward yourself! Once you start making milestones in overcoming your dental fears, be sure to reward yourself for a job well done! You can do it!
Looking for an Office to Help Calm Your Fears?
Overcoming your fears can be difficult, but don’t fret! Almost, if not all, dental offices are willing to work with their clients in making you as comfortable as possible in your experience. In the Elk Grove Village area, the dental office of Brian Homann, DDS could be your best option while overcoming your dental fears. Follow us on google+.